Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Chia Pudding with Granola Clusters


Hello! This morning my breakfast was pretty spot on, so I thought I'd whip out the old camera and document it. My roommate Sara and I are totally crushing on Angela Liddon from Oh She Glows and we have been tearing up her cookbook on the daily recently so I thought I'd share how we have been combining a couple of her recipes. 

I have started getting in the habit of preparing my breakfast the night before because it makes for such relaxing morning. Chia pudding to the rescue!! I usually prepare a jar of it at night and a batch of granola clusters for the week and then combine the two in the morning with some fresh fruit... pure heaven.

I know that I mentioned my visit to the naturopath recently, and I wanted to share another little tip I got: CHIA SEEDS. With five times more calcium than milk, and seven times more vitamin C than oranges, chia seeds are small but mighty. I'm here to give you a delicious recipe because it can be hard to figure out how to actually sneak these little devils into your diet.

Ingredients

CHIA PUDDING (1 serving)
- 1 to 3 Tbsp chia seeds - I like my chia pudding really milky, but you can add up to 3 Tbsp of chia seeds to make it thicker and more pudding-like.
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)

GRANOLA CLUSTERS (6 cups)
- 1½ cup whole raw almonds
- 1¼ cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, chopped dates)
- ½ raw pepita seeds (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ raw sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener like agave or honey)
- ¼ melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla

Directions

CHIA PUDDING
- Measure out the almond milk and the vanilla into a mason jar.
- Add in the chia seeds after the wet ingredients.
- Add a lid and mix well.
- Refrigerate overnight, and stir before eating in the morning.

GRANOLA CLUSTERS
✿ Preheat oven to 275ºF.
✿ Process ½ cup of almonds into a fine meal in a food processor (about 10 seconds). Transfer to a mixing bowl.
✿ Pulse the rest of the almonds, 1 cup, for a couple of seconds till the almonds are chopped but not made into a meal. Gotta love that chunnnnky granola.
✿ Add the oats, dried fruit, pepita seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt to the almond mixture and mix until combined.
✿ Next, add in the maple syrup, melted oil, and vanilla and stir together.
✿ Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat and spread the granola over the surface. Pack it down with a spatula so that it is compact.
✿ Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the granola is golden and firm.
✿ Let the granola cool for at least an hour and then break it into piece and store it in an airtight jar.

Serve the two together for a magical morning!




// both recipes slightly adapted from Oh She Glows






No comments:

Post a Comment